Tuesday, June 2, 2009

I tried, Ladies.. I honestly tried


I saw a music show hosted by Elvis Costello a few nights ago and Elton John was his guest. Elton praised among others as influences on him Leon Russell and Laura Nyro. He was particularly vocal about Laura's genius.. and as I had never been a fan back in the day I decided to download one of her albums and give her a renewed listen.

Genius, yes.. but I just can't take it.. or rather my ears can't take it.

I have the highest regard for the talents and the humanity of Laura, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez.. but that high pitch range is fit only for bats as far as I'm concerned. Kate Bush I liked but perhaps her melodies mitigated the screech?

You're supposed to lose the high register as you get older and I have.. but not enough to make Laura and Joni and Joan enjoyable for me.

Give me Annie Lennox, Chrissie Hynde and Nina Simone.

No comments: